Commonly Asked Questions
How can I learn more about what instrument I want to play?
Also, go to the correct class page here.
Where can I get my instrument?
- Music Store - The best way is to go to a local music store. Mr. Voght does most of his business with Summerhays Music. Riverton Music is another option as well. Summerhays has a GREAT option for online renting the instrument and they will deliver the instrument to the school on the first day of class. This is an EXCELLENT option.
- Rent from the School - the school has a LIMITED of CERTAIN instruments available for a flat fee of $80 for the school year. The student many end up needing to share the instrument with another student from another class.
- Online Stores like Ebay, Craigslist, etc. - This is a very risky option. Just like buying a car, you get what you pay for. Many times students have bought used instruments from online websites and have ended up with junk. Mr. Voght highly recommends talking to him either in person or through an email before doing this. There is nothing more frustrating for a student to have to play a junky instrument that doesn't work.
- Stores like Wal-Mart and Costco - don't do this. Their cheap $100 instruments are garbage. It will be a nightmare for the student to play those instrument.
What if my student wants to play an instrument that you don't have listed as a choice? (like the saxophone)
Because the school district has cut the amount of instructional time that elective teachers get with the students by almost half, we have decided to limit the instrument choices to help the students get more one-on-one time with Mr. Voght and so he can focus on bigger groups of students. The instruments that the beginning students can play are the following:
- Beginning Woodwind Class: flute or clarinet
- Beginning Brass Class: trumpet, baritone, or trombone
- Beginning Strings: violin, viola, cello, bass
- Saxophone - if you want to play the saxophone, start with the clarinet your first year.
- Oboe - if you want to play the oboe, start with either the flute or clarinet your first year.
- Bassoon - if you want to play the bassoon, start with the clarinet your first year.
- Bass clarinet - if you want to play the bass clarinet, start with the clarinet your first year.
- French Horn - if you want to play the French horn, start with either the trumpet or the flute your first year.
- Tuba - if you want to play the tuba, start with the baritone your first year.